Wednesday, November 09, 2016
Motochimp defines electric bike coolness
So what is this thing anyway? Well, Motochimp is a tiny electric bike that was launched at the Shenzhen International Industrial Design Fair this week, and will soon go on sale in Japan, followed by other Asian markets, the UK and parts of Europe. Designed by Singapore’s Vanda Electrics, the Motochimp will be priced from US$2,000. The bike's lithium-ion batteries can be charged in 60 minutes and provides a range of up to 60kph.
Despite its diminutive size, the Motochimp may be stronger than it looks - it's made of extruded 6061 aluminum alloy and is available in red, blue and yellow. It is, of course, a very compact bike, measuring just over a metre long and with a wheelbase of just 750mm, which makes it easy to be ridden on crowded streets and busy walkways. Power comes from a 48V 350W electric motor, mounted in the rear wheel hub, which provides enough juice for the 'Chimp to reach speeds of up to 30kph.
The Motochimp dispenses with the traditional key, which is replaced by a contactless digital ignition lock. Using RFID technology, owners simply hover their digital ‘key’ over the transponder. Each pair has a unique digital ID code, ensuring that the Motochimp only responds to its owner. "Motochimp really celebrates the indie spirit of spontaneous urban mobility. It’s sustainable yet sassy, cost-effective yet cool, eco-friendly yet bursting with personality," says Vanda Electrics CEO, Larissa Tan. "In designing Motochimp, our original concept was inspired by a sketch from a 10-year old girl. At Vanda Electrics, we want to revolutionise electric transport on a global scale, and Motochimp is key to that. It’s the new face of city transport – bold, edgy, fun," she adds. Yeah, well, it really is cool!! ;-)
- 2017 Honda Rebel 500 unveiled at the IMS in Califo...
- Kawasaki ups the ante in the supernaked segment wi...
- 2017 Yamaha XSR900 Abarth café-racer brings the be...
- 2017 Suzuki GSX250R unveiled, looks a bit dated, o...
- Yamaha T7 concept provides a preview of Yamaha's a...
- 2017 Suzuki V-Strom 250 shows that small can indee...
- 2017 Norton V4 RR unveiled, is the answer to rich ...
- 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 unveiled at EICMA
- 2017 Honda X-ADV busts out at EICMA
- 2017 Kawasaki Z650 unveiled at EICMA
- 2017 Moto Guzzi V7 III line-up shown at EICMA
- 2017 BMW K1600GTL unveiled at EICMA
- 2017 Ducati Monster 797 unveiled at EICMA
- Honda CB1100TR, Africa Twin Enduro Sports concepts...
- LEGO Technic BMW R1200GS Adventure is the perfect ...
- 2017 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900 unveiled at EICMA
- Husqvarna Vitpilen 401 Aero, Vitpilen 701 concepts...
- 2017 BMW G310GS unveiled at EICMA
- Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, Svartpilen 401 shown at EI...
- KTM unveils 790 Duke prototype, updated 1290 Super...
- 2017 MV Agusta Brutale 800 RR unveiled at the EICM...
- 2017 Kawasaki Z900 unveiled at the EICMA
- 2017 Ducati 1299 Superleggera unveiled at the EICM...
- Motochimp defines electric bike coolness
- 2017 BMW HP4 Race is a carbonfibre dream
- 2017 Aprilia Shiver 900 unveiled at the EICMA
- 2017 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce RC unveiled
- Suzuki GB to celebrate 40th anniversary of Barry S...
- ▼ November (28)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- ► 2011 (182)
- ► 2010 (196)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato