Wednesday, November 23, 2016
Kawasaki ups the ante in the supernaked segment with 2017 Z1000R
For 2017, Kawasaki have unveiled a higher-performance Z1000 - the new, Euro 4-compliant Z1000R, which gets revised ECU settings for smoother, more consistent power delivery, and revisions to the main and pre-catalysers for reduced emissions. Braking performance has been improved in a big way, with a pair of new 310mm Brembo brake discs at front, with grooved stainless steel rotors, stainless-steel braided lines and Brembo M50 cast-aluminium monobloc radial-mount 4-piston calipers.
The 2017 Kawasaki Z1000R also gets uprated rear suspension - the new Öhlins S46DR1S rear shock features an aluminium body with single-tube construction, large φ46 mm piston, and internal air and gas chambers separated by a floating piston. This fancy spring is said to offer a more supple ride, improved stability and better high speed handling. Also, its remote preload adjuster makes it easy to adjust settings without tools, when carrying a passenger.
Revisions to the Z1000R's styling include a special black/gray paintjob with yellow-green graphics, tank pads with R edition graphics, frame pads and a seat embossed with the 'Z' mark. Output remains the same at 142bhp and 111Nm of torque, which provide highly entertaining performance in a package that weighs about 221 kilos.
The regular, non-R model 2017 Kawasaki Z1000 also gets many updates, including a revised ECU for smoother power delivery, and revised front fork spring rates and damping action for a more supple, comfortable ride, without compromising the bike's handling and sporting intent. At the back, a modified linkage ratio increases rear wheel travel by 13mm, shock absorption is improved and ride quality has been improved. Brake pad material has also been revised for improved braking performance, while fully adjustable mirrors and clutch lever provide improved ergonomics.
In addition to the above, the 2017 Z1000 also gets updated instrumentation, with a new gear position indicator, shift-up indicator (the top part of the bar-style tachometer flashes when the set rpm is reached) and 12h/24h time format clock. A new range of optional accessories includes front axle sliders, crankcase rings, tank pad and knee pads etc.
While the 2017 Z1000/Z1000R is about 40-50bhp down on the top European supernakeds, it's still a damn good machine, with aggressive styling, intoxicating noise from its inline-four engine and exhaust, excellent low- to mid-rpm power delivery and fair handling as long as you remember that this is not a track-oriented racebike. Yes, we like the new Z1000R very much indeed!
- 2017 Honda Rebel 500 unveiled at the IMS in Califo...
- Kawasaki ups the ante in the supernaked segment wi...
- 2017 Yamaha XSR900 Abarth café-racer brings the be...
- 2017 Suzuki GSX250R unveiled, looks a bit dated, o...
- Yamaha T7 concept provides a preview of Yamaha's a...
- 2017 Suzuki V-Strom 250 shows that small can indee...
- 2017 Norton V4 RR unveiled, is the answer to rich ...
- 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 unveiled at EICMA
- 2017 Honda X-ADV busts out at EICMA
- 2017 Kawasaki Z650 unveiled at EICMA
- 2017 Moto Guzzi V7 III line-up shown at EICMA
- 2017 BMW K1600GTL unveiled at EICMA
- 2017 Ducati Monster 797 unveiled at EICMA
- Honda CB1100TR, Africa Twin Enduro Sports concepts...
- LEGO Technic BMW R1200GS Adventure is the perfect ...
- 2017 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900 unveiled at EICMA
- Husqvarna Vitpilen 401 Aero, Vitpilen 701 concepts...
- 2017 BMW G310GS unveiled at EICMA
- Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, Svartpilen 401 shown at EI...
- KTM unveils 790 Duke prototype, updated 1290 Super...
- 2017 MV Agusta Brutale 800 RR unveiled at the EICM...
- 2017 Kawasaki Z900 unveiled at the EICMA
- 2017 Ducati 1299 Superleggera unveiled at the EICM...
- Motochimp defines electric bike coolness
- 2017 BMW HP4 Race is a carbonfibre dream
- 2017 Aprilia Shiver 900 unveiled at the EICMA
- 2017 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce RC unveiled
- Suzuki GB to celebrate 40th anniversary of Barry S...
- ▼ November (28)
- ► 2015 (89)
- ► 2014 (113)
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (284)
- ► 2011 (182)
- ► 2010 (196)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (479)
- ► 2007 (430)
2WD AC Schnitzer AJS Akrapovic all-wheel-drive Alpinestars AMG Aprilia Ariel Audi Avinton Bajaj Barry Sheene Benelli Bianchi Bimota BMW Bosch Brammo Brembo Britten BSA Buell Bultaco Cagiva Campagna Can-Am Carver Casey Stoner Caterham Chinese bikes Classics Concept Bike Confederate CRandS Custom-built Dainese Derbi Diesel Ducati Eddie Lawson EICMA 2008 EICMA 2009 EICMA 2012 EICMA 2013 EICMA 2014 EICMA 2015 EICMA 2016 Electric Ferrari Fischer flying machines Freddie Spencer Giacomo Agostini Gilera Harley-Davidson Helmets Henderson Hero Motocorp Hesketh Honda Horex Husqvarna Hybrid Hyosung Ilmor Indian Intermot 2012 Intermot 2014 Intermot 2016 Interviews Isle of Man TT Jawa Jay Leno Jeremy Burgess Kawasaki Kevin Schwantz KTM Lamborghini Lambretta Laverda Lazareth Lotus Mahindra Malaguti Markus Hofmann McLaren Mercedes-Benz Mick Doohan Midual Millepercento Mission Motors Mondial Morbidelli Morgan Moriwaki Moto Guzzi Moto Morini Moto2 Moto3 MotoCzysz MotoGP MotoGP-2007 MotoGP-2008 MotoGP-2009 MotoGP-2010 Motorcycle Design Motus MTT MV Agusta MZ News Nissan Norton NSU Peraves Petronas Peugeot Photography Piaggio Porsche Quad Renard Renault Riding Impressions Roehr Ronax Ronin Rotary Royal Enfield Scooters Segway Shootouts Short Films Skills Specials stunt riding Supercharged Suter Suzuki Toyota Travel trike Triumph Turbo TVS Two-stroke Ural V10 V12 V4 V6 V8 Valentino Rossi Velocette Vespa Victory Vincent Volkswagen Voxan Vyrus Wakan Wayne Gardner Wayne Rainey Wunderlich Yamaha Yoshimura Zagato